Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

I purchased a 2 gig sandisk SD memory card a few weeks ago and because i was going to the cayman islands and needed some more space for all the pics i was going to take. Well i took about 160 pictures with no problems. After I took the next picture I recieved a system error message on my camera. I have a sanyo xacti C6. I put in another memory card and it worked fine. But this 2 gig is defintely corrupted. When i connect my camera to my computer to upload these pictures the computer wont even recognize the camera. I took the card to walgreens to see if i could print them from their kiosk and it said there are no pics on the card. I can view the pictures on the camera but that is all. Does anyone know how i can get these pictures off of this memory card? Thanks.
ano33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

If the computer won't recognize the camera with this card in it, try a card reader.

Note that some readers won't work with SD cards over 1GB (even though they're not SDHC cards and still formatted as FAT). But, most newer readers should work. It would be a good idea to get one that's SDHC compliant, too (so that it can be used with cards larger than 2GB, should you ever need that ability with other devices).

You can probably pick up a decent USB Card reader for around $10 now.

Then, try to see if you can recover the images using one of the popular utilities designed for that purpose.

One utility to try is Digital Image Recovery (it's free).

You can download it using this link, unzip it and run it.

Make note of the drive letter you see when the card is inserted in a reader (you'll find it under "My Computer"). Then, load this program and select your desired language (English is one of them).

Give it the drive letter for the card reader, select a folder on your PC to save the recovered images to, leave everything else at default settings, and press Start. Your photos will be saved to the folder you select.

Here's another popular Utility you can try:

Here's a free open source program you may want to try. It's a command line utility (no graphical user interface). But, it should be able to get them, too.

It's designed to work with severely corrupted file systems by looking for header information specific to many image types in order to try and reconstruct them.

Here is the link to PhotoRec (it's open source and available for multiple platforms, including Linux). You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the page.

If for some reason these won't find them, here's a commercial program designed to do the same thing (not free). You can download a demo version to see if it works before buying it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote