Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:00 AM   #961

To be honest Tudarite, I wouldnt expect much help..... I contacted them too but I got no help whatsoever. The guy didnt even know what I was talking about to be honest and didnt care.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:32 AM   #962

Realistically, Sanyo probably paid some nominal fee ... say $20 or $30 ... to include the Ulead NLE in the box with the camcorder. They don't know much about it, can't offer tech support themselves, and didn't pay for any tech support from Ulead.

Presumably Ulead offered Sanyo a discounted price as a form of advertising. To gain market share, Ulead needs to get new HD owners to try their NLE. So complaints made to Ulead might have more leverage -- informing Ulead that far from getting favorable publicity, they are being trashed in forums for being dysfunctional, and nobody is going to follow their upgrade path.

From a technical point of view, the H.264/AVC codec imposes a heavy CPU load, especially at high resolution. Most comments I've seen say don't even attempt it without the latest computer.

One workaround, although it involves more expense, is to convert the camcorder files to an intermediate format such as Cineform .avi files. This format does not use interframe Group of Pictures compression, so the CPU does not have to churn away calculating each frame from the surrounding frames. In another thread in this forum, Private Idaho (2nd post) said the Cineform codec works with Ulead, and allows it to run on older computers. He didn't mention whether it burned DVDs though.

altmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:13 PM   #963

Yes the cineform intermediate codec is what I use to work with Adobe Premiere. It allows me to use all of the cool Premiere plugins and even go into after effects if needed. Turk, Sorry for the delayed reply.

After converting the hd1000 files to cineform they really become very easy for the computer to manage and playback. Also, there isn't a noticable reduction in quality to me. This workflow really opens up the use of any non-linear editing software that you want to work with on the PC.
robpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:42 PM   #964

I didn't put the smiley face over part of the phone number. I must be an automaticcommand anytime a phone number is posted. You can get the full phone number on page"i" at the front of your manual.
I've run into this elsewhere in this website, with a #8 inside () brackets. Experiment: (8)

I believe the email system interprets the combination of characters as a happy face.

Try it without the brackets.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:54 PM   #965

Here are my settings for converting HD1000 footage to cineform HDV intermediate for use in most editing software at real-time or near-realtime (depending on your hardware). But note that using the cineform intermediate HDV codecs will give you a tremendous playback boost due to it's lower processor overhead and still look great.
720 60p workflow:
Shoot on the HD1000 at 72060p
In Vegas 8.0a Choose the HDV 1280x720 30p template.
Field Order: None (Progressive scan).
32-bit floating point pixel format.
Deinterlace Method: None

For Render choose: HDV 720-30p intermediate template.

1080i 60 Workflow:
Shoot in 1080i on HD1000
Use Custom 1920 x1080 29.970 fps setting (or you can just click on the folder icon on the project properties window and it will set this for you.
Field order: Lower field first
Pixel aspect ratio: 1.000
Frame rate: 29.970
Pixel format: 32-bit floating point
Deinterlace mode: None

For Render choose: HDV 1080-60i intermediate template

Then I edit in premiere.

I also experimented with converting to 24p at render time but I didn't like the strobing and weird motion blur created. I tested this in Vegas and also in after effects with Magic Bullet. Both looked bad to me so I'm sticking with the above frame rate workflows for now.
robpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:38 AM   #966

Check out my very first short movie using the Sanyo HD1000.

Story - With a winter storm approaching, our faceless hero must quickly retrieve supplies to ride out the storm. And what better way to do it than in a Mazdaspeed 3.

The video was shot in full HD, but due to the file size it had to be scaled down before I could upload it anywhere. It obviously looks a whole lot better in it's original 1080i resolution! It still looksfairly decent scaled down to the 720 by 480 resolution you see here, though. Should anyone want the full HD video (it's almost 900MB) I might be able to put it on one of those Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc. sites or something.

Well I hope y'all get a kick out of the video, the ending seems to get a laugh from people. Look for more and better videos in the future!
wasapamati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:59 PM   #967

That was fun!

Very cool and creative! Thanks for sharing.

laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:24 AM   #968

heatwave3 wrote:

The Ulead software is exactly what I need....if only it worked. Its simple, joins clips together, allows for simple menus and is suppose to be designed to burn HD1000 clipsto DVDs. Has anyone had any success in using the software supplied with the camera to transfer 1080i video files to a DVD? All the packaging says that the software is designed to do exactly what I need it to do, unfortunately its not working. Is this false labeling or is there some fine print that says the Ulead software cannot burn DVDs from 1080i? Any insight would be appreciated.

My supplied ULEADsoftware succesfully converted 1080i footage from my HD1000 to several other formats (mpeg, wmv, dvd pal and others),something myULEAD Video Studio11.5 plus software cant do! So i think the supplied ULEAD software is a special Sanyo version after all.Just tested making a straight DVD (pal) with amoving menufm a short HD1000 1080i footage (about 5 secs long). DVD was ready within 10 minutes and playable onmy normal DVD player, my DVD/Harddisk recorder and my PS3 without any problems.Picture quality was ok too.
zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:44 AM   #969

zod wrote:

My supplied ULEADsoftware succesfully converted 1080i footage from my HD1000 to several other formats (mpeg, wmv, dvd pal and others),something myULEAD Video Studio11.5 plus software cant do! So i think the supplied ULEAD software is a special Sanyo version after all.Just tested making a straight DVD (pal) with amoving menufm a short HD1000 1080i footage (about 5 secs long). DVD was ready within 10 minutes and playable onmy normal DVD player, my DVD/Harddisk recorder and my PS3 without any problems.Picture quality was ok too.
zod, with the ULEAD software I was able to convert a 4 minute 720 x 30fps clip and burn it to DVD. However, the render took 2 hours and 9 minutes. For me this is not acceptable. More importantly, when I tried to render four 4 minute clips, the process failed. I would be interested to see if you would be successful rendering mulitple clips at a time to burn unto the same DVD. Also, if you try it, let us know how long it takes to render the clips. Thanks
tudarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:48 PM   #970

OK….. I have figured out how to use the supplied ULEAD software that comes with the HD1000 camera to burn regular DVDs from 1080i video taken with the camera. I had a little assistance from the Corel helpdesk (owners of ULEAD) and their troubleshooting library. http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=hCNo*fWi&p_lva=761273&p_ li=&p_page=1&p_prod_lvl1=174&p_prod_lv l2=175&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p _search_type=3&p_sort_by=dflt

From their website:

"Rendering: Crashing problems (export)

Details: Please export the video clip first using the following steps:

1. At the "Add/Edit Media" step of MovieFactory, highlight all the video clips at the storyboard/title list. [/*]
  2. Click on the "Export Selected Clips" button. [/*]
  3. Use the DVD format/quality settings that you want to use for your project. [/*]
  4. Export the video clip into your hard drive. [/*]
  5. Exit MovieFactory and re-launch the program (restarting your PC is suggested). [/*]
  6. Import the saved video clips into a new project and continue it from there. [/*]
  7. Make sure to enable "Do not convert compliant MPEG files" from the "Project Settings". [/*]
  8. Finish the project."
Here's the steps I took to produce good quality normal DVDs using 1080i files from the HD1000 and the supplied ULEAD software. It's actually much easier than it sounds however I've broken it down below for those that are interested in the steps I took.
  1. I copied the 1080i video files from the camera to my computer hard drive. [/*]
  2. I organized these files into respective chapters (I was using video from a recent family vacation.) There was slightly in excess of an hour of recording. My original attempts to render and burn this video (which failed) said that these files would require 2 normal DVD discs. [/*]
  3. I opened the DVD MovieFactory 5 for Sanyo software. I used the "Add Media" function to add all the MPEG-4 files from a particular Chapter. (I wanted to try this step one chapter at a time. I would recommend this approach vs. trying to do this step for all files at the same time to avoid overloading your computer). Make sure you decide if you want the DVD to be formatted in 4:3 or 16:9 before using the "Add Media" The software is defaulted to 4:3 and you'll want to change this to 16:9 before going any further, if this is the format you want. The option to change the screen format is in the lower left corner. [/*]
  4. I used the "Join Video" function by highlighting the added files. This step took only a few seconds even when there were a lot of files to combine. [/*]
  5. The software would now show the one combined "Chapter". I then used the "Export Selected Clips" function to export and convert the combined Chapter. [/*]
  6. I exported the Chapter to the same file location where the original MPEG-4 files were stored. I used the "Fast Export DVD Compliant Video" format. [/*]
  7. This export function for each chapter was the lengthiest part of the process and varied based on the number and size of the files being exported. This exporting using "Fast Export DVD Compliant Video" converts the original 1080i MPEG-4 video file to:
    MPEG Files
    24 bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
    (DVD-NTSC), 16:9
    Video data rate: Variable (Max. 7000 kbps)
    LPCM Audio, 48000 Hz
  8. The result of this step was a new .mpg file stored in the original chapter folder that incorporated all of the original MPEG-4 videos. [/*]
  9. I completed this exporting process for all of the Chapters I had created using the original HD1000 video files. [/*]
  10. I closed the ULEAD software and reopened it. I then started a new video project and used the "Add Media" function to add each of the new .mpg chapter files into the software. [/*]
  11. Each of these imported mpg files were automatically indexed as the start of a new Chapter in my DVD file. You can then use the "Enhance Video" function to add sub-titles, background music and a few other editing capabilities. [/*]
  12. I then used the "Next Step" function to create a DVD menu. [/*]
  13. Lastly I clicked "Burn Disc". This new movie video took that same information that was going to need 2 DVDs and easily fit it onto a single normal DVD disc. The quality is more than good enough for family and friends and better than most home videos. [/*]
  14. Burning copies of this DVD takes less than 3-4 minutes for a 1+hr video using this method.
A few comments about the original video taken by the camera:
    • I'm really disappointed in the quality of the EIS stabilization software in the camera. I would have definitely preferred the normal motion of the video camera over the EIS attempt to stabilize which I found to be far worse that the original motion. I will NOT use the EIS in the future. The camera would have produced much better quality video if it had used Optical stablization instead of the lower cost EIS [/*]
    • I wish I had remembered to use the "wind noise reduction" feature on the camera as the wind noise was quite loud on a sailboat trip we took. Note to self: activate this feature when ever recording outdoor video where there's even a remote chance of wind noise.[/*]
Overall, I now find the software quite easy to use following the steps above. This approach retains the original MPEG-4 files on my hard drive for use in the future when HD burners and players are more commonplace and reasonable priced. In the interim, this approach allows very good videos to be shared with family and friends on normal DVDs which are the standard in most homes today.

Let me know if this works for others of if you have any questions. Sorry for the long post, however I'm hopeful these steps make it easier for others to record their HD1000 files to normal DVDs.
heatwave3 is offline   Reply With Quote