Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:27 PM   #1

I have the C5, now retired, and the CG65. The CG65 gets lots of use at my grandsons soccer games, Christmas programs, etc. I consider it essential equipment and just a great value. It's always there.

Couldn't resist a bargain and snapped up a $299 special offer for the HD 700 at Amazon. I read each of the 375 posts in Caelum's thread and wonder if my eyes will ever be straight again! I was familiar with most of the problems mentioned and find them manageable in the CG65. The ONLY thing I don't like about the CG65 is the lack of an optical viewfinder. I have trouble with the LCD in bright sunlight on some of my quail hunting trips. I've been using a Canon A720 for video and stills on those trips. I'll try the HD 700 outside but don't have very high hopes.

The questions I have are about the HD format. I do have HD TV and understand I can show the videos directly from the camera. Can I save the clips in an external hard drive for the day when I'll have an HD DVD? Any trick to that?

Is there a recommended video editor for these HD clips.

Any tips or comments from users always appreciated.

Thanks to Caelum for the informative review of the HD 700 and to all of you who were in on the give and take.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:45 PM   #2

The HD700 performs fine videowise outside in good daylight as far as I can tell and the stills are not exactly terrible to be honest. In fact, it's the one thing that has stopped me returning it! I like to shoot indoors and the evening too which is why I am still debating whether to return it, but the problem is where do I get another bargain camera like this that does nicer video than my C40 during good daylight?

The video in SD mode seems to be smoother than my C40 probably due to the h264 codec since it has the same bitrate as my C40 but with h264 I understand it's equivalent to an extra 25% compression perhaps.

I agree that reading the HD700 thread can mess with your mind! I think it's just so annoying that Sanyo had the makings of a great camera here, but then let slip some silly design errors. Maybe they were partly intentional so as not to position it too close to the HD1000 in usability.

When you say can you save the HD clips to an external Harddrive for the day when get a HD DVD, did you mean directly from the unit itself? Yes you can, although one person here did seem to have problems but that may have been an isolated incident until we get more reports. I myself won't be using that feature since I can just use my PC or laptop to do that.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:08 AM   #3

What video editor works with the HD700? I have the HD700 on order. I recently purchased (but have not opened) Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate . Since the Hd700 comes withAdobe Premiere Elements I'm tempted to save some money and return Studio 11. I don't want to do a lot of complex editing. Maybe just some cutting and joining with transitions and titles. I know I can do this with Elements. But then I want to be able to burn to a standard dvd in HD (I have a Toshiba HD-DVD player). Is there some freeware program I could use to do this? Or maybe I should just hang on to Studio 11 since it can do everything?

I'm also confused by all the file types, AVCHD, mov, mp4. What does the HD700 use?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote