Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:36 AM   #1

Bought my hubby this for Christmas, but his first attempts have been less than satisfactory, the images have been taken on normal setting not vivid and are really very grainy.

I was under the impression he would be able to play with this staright from the box, but I am not thinking it will take a lot of trial and error to achieve basic snaps?

I am a complete novice with cameras so please don't shout at me! I just want him to be pleased with this not so cheap xmas pressy!

Any help or pointers to a quick start would be very appreciated?

Thank you in advance

annea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:07 AM   #2

Rough guess is that he used it in a dim room in auto mode and the camera, trying to get the amount of light needed to get a good exposure, increased the ISO setting to something that gives a lot of grain. Turning on noise reduction might have helped. The HD700 is a pretty feature packed camera that needs to be learned to be used. Outside, you can pretty much fake it but you'll be happier with the results long term if you take the time to learn to use it.

My suggestions:

Step one, download the PDF version of the manual (or use the printed one -- I like PDFs as I can search them) and go through it -- it's a fast read. Most of the "problems" I've seen posted here and elsewhere are covered in the manual.

Step two, check out the Sanyo HD700 tip site:

Step three, play and experiment with it. Read up on how to do things (the shortcuts features is really cool) and take it with you and see what you and it can do.

Some samples of what I've done with mine are here: http://gallery.mac.com/crosby007

Good luck!

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:30 PM   #3

After you zoom past the optical 5X it turns digital zoom. It's very ez to get grainy pictures with the digital zoom enabled. Were you using the flash while taking the photo? Some additional details would be helpful in giving you advice...

blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:13 AM   #4

I just got mine and gave it a workout Christmas. My stills were unbelievably grainy on the HD TV but seem fine on the computer. Not sure why but it seems the HD just won't show a regular photo except in the "High Grain" format.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote