Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1

People have posted about the stellar low-light performance of the CG65. Someone described it as "if you can see it, the CG65 can film it", and that the CG65 can film dim scenes better than you can see them. Or that it can work just fine in candlelight. I've played with mine, and I cannot get any low-light performance that I think is better than fair. It is nowhere near as good as my Digilife DDV-920, which is a cheap and outdated hybrid by comparison to the CG65.

I've tried manually setting the ISO to 1600. This does no better than Auto ISO, but certainly is better than setting it to ISO 50.

I tried using the "Lamp" setting for dim light. This did nothing special either. I tried combining the ISO1600 and Lamp settings, and whichever one you choose, it cancels the other.

So what settings enable the best dim light performance?

Also, when I was researching buying a CG65, a lot of people mentioned liking the voice navigation. I assumed this was an extensive feature, whereas mine only announces whether it's in "camera", "standby", "playback" or "sleep" modes. Is that the extent of the voice function?

And what's the difference between standby and sleep?

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:20 AM   #2

I wouldn't say the cg65 was anything special in low light, remarkably average. Lamp mode works by setting the frame rate to 15 frames per second to allow more lght to be collected.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3

I have a CG65 and have had a few other camcorders including some large 3ccd models.

The low light performance if the 65 is not better than you can see but works quite wellfor indoor shooting under normal light. Normal light is two 60 or 75 watt lamps in the same room or over 80 LUX.

Single small CCD camcorders do not perform well in the dark.

I shoot auto most of the time or lock the ISO to 200 if the light is a little low to stop the camera from jumping to 400 and making more noise.

Zooming to the long end makes the lens way darker and is a bad idea in a low light room.

I havelots of indoor footage and it almost always looks great with out having a video light but I don't shoot in the dark and expect it not have no noise.

If you are using ISO 1600 then you need to be looking for a much larger and more costly 3 CCD camera or perhaps something like the cannon HD-20

I take it you have only had the one other camercorder?

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote