Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:59 AM   #1

Hi everbody,

I have a question regarding the system requirements for a Mac when viewing and editing HD files from the Sanyo HD1000 camcorder. I am currently considering buying a MacBook but am just not sure which model to choose. Unfortunally I don't have enough money to buy the MacBook Pro soI will have to settle for the MacBook.

Therefore I would like to know if some of you have some experiences in this area that you would like to share with me regarding the hardware configuration? (I'm more specifically think of the processor 2.0 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz and the RAM 2 gb or 4 gb. I know that more is better, but will the 2.0 Ghz 2 gb configuration be enough?)

BigKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:25 AM   #2

From what I can see browsing through some of the Mac forums after a quick google search for 1080i video editing, some Macbook owners say they can edit 1080i OK with a 2GB Macbook. Here's a sample search:

It looks like FCE (Final Cut Express) is a popular tool for that purpose (not free).

I didn't try searching for the Sanyo specifically. Hopefully, we may have some members using a Macbook with some experience editing video that will see this post and respond.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:51 PM   #3

I've got an iMac 3.06 dual core and it slices through the 720 footage without any problems in Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

I haven't cut anything with iMovie, but the footage loads directly in.

In Final Cut, you need to grab an additional codec for the 1080i footage. And it will stutter when you play it back on the fcp canvas. The 720p footage loads in, and plays flawlessly. I'm still waiting on a proper 1080i codec for fcp. From what I've gathered, it's a problem with the codec, not the speed of my machine. I shoot in 720p 60fps mode. The 1080i doesn't look as good for what I'm shooting.

I suggest you download some raw Sanyo HD1010 or HD1000 footage from the net, copy it to a flash drive and bring it into the apple store. Plug it into the model you're interested in, and run FCP.

Good luck,

--- J

doowylloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:07 PM   #4

Either one will work just fine. I was previously using a Macbook Air (1.6ghz) and last week upgraded to a new MB 2.4ghz. The new MB is around 2-3 times faster than my Air with editing and file conversions.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote