Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:33 PM   #1

My SO (significant other) keeps complaining about the HD1010 size, still photo quality, and bad stabilization. Especially since I stuck the .7x Sanyo wide angle lens to the front of the camera. So the other day, I ordered a Sony T500 from Amazon (~$370) and am impressed with a couple things so far.

The camera is able to produce only 720p/30fps at 9mb/s and a couple other lower quality settings. I usually use the HD1010 at 720p/60 fps at 12mb/s. On well lit outdoor scenes, the video from the Sony is better stabilized and has more natural looking colors. The stabilization is like night and day compared to the HD1010. Much smoother, but not as good as their TG1 camcorder I tested previously.

The only thing is the unfriendly form factor of the Sony means I have to hold it with finger tips instead of with my whole hand. The specs say that this Sony has an optical stabilization instead of electronic image stabilization found on their older point and shoots.

In my unscientific testing, just looking at video from the same scene with both cameras, the field of view on the Sony is as wide as the HD1010 with the 0.7x wide angle lens attached. Sony also makes a .77x wide angle lens accessory which should make take it from 33mm to 25.4mm. I'm not sure I will need it.

Here's someone elses review, which summaries my findings as well.

Sample photos from flikr:

Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links