Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:43 PM   #1

Default Newbie trying to send mpeg files through email

Just got a Sanyo digital movie camera. I saved the movies on my computer. When i send them through email, 1- it takes forever & 2) no one can open it. What do i do now? How do i fix them in order to send them out?
Thanks in advance
-Dtrama
dtrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:07 PM   #2

Upload the files to Vimeo or Youtube etc. then send links via email so friends and family can watch them. Did you edit the movies into mpeg 1 or 2? To send them via email you'd need to render and compress the files into a fairly low rez format depending on the length of the movie.
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrama View Post
Just got a Sanyo digital movie camera. I saved the movies on my computer. When i send them through email, 1- it takes forever & 2) no one can open it. What do i do now? How do i fix them in order to send them out?
Thanks in advance
-Dtrama
If all your recipients use Windows PC's and you want to send actual video clips, the best format to use is Windows Media since it's already installed and they merely have to open the video file. If they are Mac users you can convert to a quicktime format which is the same as the output from the Sanyo but using a reduced bitrate and size.

You can use a program such as SUPER to convert the Sanyo MP4 files. You can download SUPER from

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html#Dnload

For simple family movies you can use a bitrate of 500kbps and drop the frame rate to 15fps with a size of 320x240 to increase the video clip length. If your recipients have yahoo or hotmail you can attach up to a total of 10MB. With gmail it's a very respectable 20MB. Bear in mind that the actual video size will be smaller than the attachment limit due to overhead once it's attached.

Of course if you want them to view the video in much better quality then as Markinter says, you will have to use vimeo or youtube etc. If even that is not good enough (assuming you have a HD camcorder) and you want them to view it in it's original quality then the only solution would be to use a file upload site like megaupload etc. Of course you would have to make sure their PC/Mac would actually be capable of running such a high quality file.

If some of your recipients have Linux, then SUPER will work for them too as it will convert to just about any format.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:28 AM   #4

I wont be repeating and creating a new hatred story about super video converter and about all the stories and here is one.

http://blog.monkeyless.com/2006/07/1...er-looks-safe/

but it is good for converting in other notes. Super is a ffmpeg front end and because its 24mb big, it leaves me suspicious as well. winff uses ffmpeg and it's only 500k so you figure it out!!!! THese 2 are front-ends for the most powerfull encoder in the world and super dudes are making money off the backs of hard working ffmpeg people. ffmpeg are the real workers and they ask for nothing. So I don't recommend it.

Use Winff. uses the powerfull ffmpeg converters and is compatible with all.
http://winff.org/html_new/

you can convert videos of 2 hours length in under 3 hours. It is that fast. If you are familiar with ffmpeg and command lines, you can achieve greatness as I have. Literally powerfully.

You cannot email your stuff! some emails have a 10mb cap and these videos are over 10mb at least unless your video is like 5 seconds. you will need to use winff, use that to convert your videos to a vimeo accepted format and email your links to your family so they can view it online...or send them dvd's like I have.

anyway...

Last edited by Cresho; Sep 25, 2009 at 6:32 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
I wont be repeating and creating a new hatred story about super video converter and about all the stories and here is one.

http://blog.monkeyless.com/2006/07/1...er-looks-safe/

but it is good for converting in other notes. Super is a ffmpeg front end and because its 24mb big, it leaves me suspicious as well. winff uses ffmpeg and it's only 500k so you figure it out!!!! THese 2 are front-ends for the most powerfull encoder in the world and super dudes are making money off the backs of hard working ffmpeg people. ffmpeg are the real workers and they ask for nothing. So I don't recommend it.

Use Winff. uses the powerfull ffmpeg converters and is compatible with all.
http://winff.org/html_new/

you can convert videos of 2 hours length in under 3 hours. It is that fast. If you are familiar with ffmpeg and command lines, you can achieve greatness as I have. Literally powerfully.

You cannot email your stuff! some emails have a 10mb cap and these videos are over 10mb at least unless your video is like 5 seconds. you will need to use winff, use that to convert your videos to a vimeo accepted format and email your links to your family so they can view it online...or send them dvd's like I have.

anyway...
Nothing new there. The usual 'suspicions' that I have seen against other freeware as well. You can never guarantee that any freeware is 100% safe. Many have used SUPER including myself for a very long time.

The large size of an installation has no relationship to how 'dangerous' it may be. Hackers (though not script kiddies etc) tend to be efficient coders so they wouldn't need 27MB to write code to do damage.

I don't know where you are getting 'ffmpeg is only 500K' from. The installation of Winff is 22MB not far of SUPER and the actual ffmpeg.exe in WinFF itself is 9.38MB! SUPER has over 11MB of separate codec files alone.

Having said that I will agree the later versions seem to be more buggy. I never used to have a problem creating mp4 files for my phone but now it gives me an error.

Of course WinFF will do the job as well.

For windows media you could even download Microsoft's own free encoder but then it may not recognize the quicktime file format. At least the all in one encoders make it easier so the user doesn't have to mess with separate codec packs which can be messy.

Either way when done right it's surprising how long a reasonably watchable video can be fit in a 10mb attachment. Obviously you cannot expect miracles though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 2:53 PM   #6

There is a difference between opensource software and freeware software. I use linux. In Linux, you can look at the code since you have choices of either compiling from source or using a prebuilt one which you can also loo at the source. Super, you cannot.

Do not ever confuse freeware vs opensource. Opensource is free and free to look at the code or even modify! Freeware is closed source and are not allowed. You figure out for yourself which is free.

my ffmpeg installation uses only 384k and winff is only 1.4mb in this case, the xml file could be bigger due to the ever changing commands used.

The windows version of winff is related more to your operating system. and also a few more dll files to allow ffmpeg to work properly.

Ever wonder why you just can't download super from one link and why it blasts you with all kinds of junk words? Also, how many cookies does it take for your webbrowser to accept before loading the page? Cookies track, and also there are super cookies. Just be carefull

Last edited by Cresho; Sep 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote