Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Default VPC FH1 vs FH1a and iFrame

Not long ago did I purchase an FH1 and am very happy with it. I noticed yesterday that Sanyo have announced with FH1a.

It looks identical and the only new feature I can see is that it supports iFrame. I understand this to be a very efficient way of transferring video to an Apple Mac.

Has anyone heard of any firmware updates that will allow the FH1 to do this. Are there any other differences?

The response from Sanyo Australia was that they would not issue a firmware update, which is pretty annoying.

Maybe if enough people complain they can sort it out.
pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Default Update...

I have had the following email from Sanyo:

"Thank you for your enquiry. Our Product Manager for Digital Imaging has contacted the factory for advice and they answer that "Due to the contract with Apple, there is no firmware update available for the current models."

Apple will decide when the situation changes.

That really upsets me. But what can you do???
pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:56 PM   #3

Can you post a raw clip from your FH1 to something like Mediafire.com ? I wouldn't mind taking a shot at this.
That's like.. your opinion man
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:46 PM   #4

While I agree it's annoying that there is no firmware upgrade to allow this (after all no one in their right mind is going to buy essentially the same camera again for just a relatively minor tweak), I am not sure I see the benefit to this new format which is between 720p and 480p. Is your PC not capable of handling regular 720p?

To quote that well known phrase "The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!" especially as companies feel the constant need to create their own.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:49 PM   #5

What's the benefit of iFrame? Other than speed, ease of use, and pain free editing? Sanyo has launched a bunch of ads touting this new iframe format in the mac mags.

960x540 30fps iframe is not even HD. What is the point of this format? More confusion. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of HD video. Can anyone explain?

More info:

Kungfuguy is offline   Reply With Quote