Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:16 AM   #1

i'm not expecting pristine, sharp, noiseless video/photos out of either camera in a low-light concert setting, but i want to choose the camera that will give me the BETTER performance of the two.

the unmediated.org review of the c5 actually has some low light movie examples (but i can't find any for the c4 to compare, can anyone point me at some? heh):

also, over there someone left a comment that the c4 performs better in low light because the lens is bigger. the c4 and the c5 have the same max aperture (F=3.5). does this make the actual size of the lens irrelevant, or does that comment have some validity?

the person who left the comment may have been confused because the c4 does have a lower depth of field (f-5.8mm compared to f-6.8mm on the c5) ... but afaik that has no bearing on how much light is let in.

then an ISO question ... the c4 can go up to 1600 ISO shooting video in lamp mode (restricting it to .3mp). the most sensative ISO offered by the c5 is 800. as i understand it, upping that sensativity is like "gaining" the image brightness. i know doing this will add grain, but it's something i can live with if more of what's happening is clear.

what i wonder: does having a high sensativity ISO on the cam look better than gaining the image after the fact using software?

THANKS for any help!!!
starpause is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links