Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:26 AM   #241

To preface this post, let me say I am an amateur photographer. Prior to buying the C6, my previous digital camera was a 1.3 mp Fuji I bought 5 1/2 years ago after my daughter was born. And I don't even know how to use half the features on that camera. Having said that, the reason why I bought the C6 was not because I was expecting the highest quality photographs or the highest quality videos. I bought the C6 because my existing camera and camcorder needed replacement and the idea of a single unit with a tiny form factor that is able to replace both was very appealing to me. We rarely took videos with our camcorder because its size made it a pain to haul around. With the C6, I am sure we will take way more videos than we used to.

With that preface, I am quite happy with the C6 and find the low light capability quite adequate. Yes, its not perfect, but for those who are contemplating buying one, judge for yourself. I took the attached picture tonight before putting my daughter to bed. The room is not well-lit, and she was standing about 8 feet away from me (I had to use the telephoto lense to bring her in closer). I used the incandescent light icon in the scene selection menu. The picture came out a bit darker than this, but I was able to easily brighten it a little using Microsoft Office picture manager.

Yes, there is a bit of graininess, but for my needs, it is perfectly adequate.
Attached Images
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 4:07 AM   #242

can anyone tell me what memory cards will work with the C6. I've ordered mine from warehouse 123, and would like to have the card when it gets here. thanx for any help
snuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:57 AM   #243

Hi, I am in the uk and I have just got my C6 from purelygadgets.co.uk.

It came in 5 days, well wrapped and is a VCP-C6EX, english plug, english manual (not copied).

Regard sd card compatibility, I have found that a PNY 1G x133 SD card does not work inmy C6camera (P-SP-SD1GBHS2-BX). I checked the card on 2 other computers and a PDA and it worked fine.

TheC6 worked fine with another normal/low_speed PNY 1G card.

ardenlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:17 AM   #244

steve wrote:
[...]The still mode is [...] ISO 400 max. [...]
Well then I must be crazy because the EXIF information of this photo of a Christmas tree says it came directly from the C6 and has an ISO speed of 900, and it appears tohave verylittle light. Again, I believe this must have been taken in "Lamp" mode, see my previous post for an explanation of this mode as I understand it. I'm not saying this is new to the C6, Ithink lamp mode existed for the C5 as well.

theranman, as per Steve's C5 review, the issue is the flash, quote: "When shooting indoors, I found the flash had a pretty short range, but it's to be expected from such a small camera. Tiny camera + tiny battery + tiny flash + large LCD = fairly short flash range, mostly to conserve precious battery power." Most digicams won't perform well in low light without long exposure times (blur) or a strong flash. Again, an ultra-compact sacrifice. But the C5's stills seemed quite adequate to me overall.

Filmchick, what kind of plug came withyour EX model? Thanks!

Doesitappear from the reports so far that the faster the SD card's speed rating, the less chance it will work properly?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:57 AM   #245

The plug is standard for the United States - I'm charging my camera right now.

As far as SD speed goes...the onethatfailed for me was 150x. You'd think the faster the better, right? Now I wish I got a plain old standard Sandisk! Hopefully the eBay seller will have a different brand for me.

As far asI know, it looks like the compatible brands of SD cards are:

Sandisk, Corsair, Parrot and PNY. Any others to add?
FIlmchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:19 AM   #246

FIlmchick wrote:
Sandisk, Corsair, Parrot and PNY. Any others to add?
We'd have to assume the Toshiba SD warehouse123 includes in a bundle with the C6... or perhaps we should wait for confirmation.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:24 AM   #247

I used "IRFANVIEW" software to scan the EXIF info from that Christmas tree picture, here's what it reported:

File: 1212-2.jpg

Make - SANYO Electric Co.,Ltd.
Model - C6
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - ver1.0.0
DateTime - 2005:11:25 18:58:14
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 646
ExposureTime - 1/22.3 seconds
FNumber - 3.50
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 900
ExifVersion - 0220
DateTimeOriginal - 2005:11:25 18:58:14
DateTimeDigitized - 2005:11:25 18:58:14
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 3 (bits/pixel)
BrightnessValue - -1.00/0.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.48
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 6.30 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 640
ExifImageHeight - 480
InteroperabilityOffset - 1408
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 41 mm
SceneCaptureType - Night scene
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Macro

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Scene capture type "Night scene" rather than "Lamp mode"? ISO was 900!

Incidentally, I was billed 494.74 USD @ 1.1808 = 584.19 Cdn for my C6 (still not arrived yet!)

Considering the M1 was $500 Cdn at Costco and the M2 was $699 at the Sony Store, if I remember right, that's a fairly decent price! But it looks like there are many new models coming out, Samsung & so on, so prices could erode quickly.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:32 AM   #248

I think that image stabilization (whether optical or digital) on the still side of things would help a lot in some of these low light pics. It'll probably happen in the C7, but I can't wait that long.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:36 AM   #249

I have bought the same card, not yet got, you think I have to cancel my order ?Thanks ¬* ¬*card: PNY 1GO¬* ¬*133x
carlos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:54 PM   #250

I just ordered my c6 from 123warehouse and had the same great service. I had someone call me the following day to confirm my address. I am going to use this camera to film a bunch of young martial artists performing their craziest tricks. Hopefully the camera will be able to follow the fast motion otherwise I'll have to bring out the old minidv camera. :-x
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote