Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

View Poll Results: Should Nate Get an HD1 or a C6 for Europe?
HD1 1 33.33%
C6 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2, 2006, 12:18 AM   #1

Hey ya'll,I've been reading through the posts, and it seems like there are a lot of negatives, and a lot of positives on both sides for the different cameras. I'm in a unique situation here, and would like some input if you can offer it.Next spring, I'm going to be living in Luxembourg for a study abroad program through my university. Since I'll be in Europe, I'll be doing a bunch of travel too. I don't own a good digital camera yet, and will soon be in the market for one. The idea of getting a camcorder sounds better to me, however, because I can capture action and have a Powerbook G4 that I can edit on while I'm in Lux. So basically, I like the idea of having a dual-purpose camera. That being said, I also want portability while keeping cost as far under $1000 as possible (though 800 for an HD1 would be tolerable).*Is it worth the HDness of an HD1 *which my mac can't play, even at full resolution, and I dont have an HDTV yet (getting one soon)* or should I go with the cheaper C6 for portability, decent stills, and pretty good video? (Planning on getting a camerabright! for low-light if this is the case)Let me know what you think, I would like to have a few more opinions before I decide. Thanks!xnatex
xnatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 9:08 AM   #2

Hi xnatex,

I think if you're the average user with limited resources like me you need C6.

I had the same dilemma a month ago. My choice was C6. And now I'm pretty sure that it was the right one. Why?

1. C6 is smaller - it's easy to handle in the trip;

2. C6 has 9 bit support per pixel comparing with 4 bit per pixel in HD1 which means slightly better low light performance;

3. 2GB SD cards are cheaper than 4GB (which you probably need for HD1), DL20 batteries are much cheaper then DL40 for HD1 - I've bought set of 2 for $9.

4. You don't have HD equipment and needs for it. When you decide to have HDTV the camcorders will be different or at least HD1 will cost the same $300 like old models of Sanyo Xacti.

5. I think that "the big guys" like SONY, PANASONIC and CANON are about to start racing in this market (cheap Hybrid camera based on flash memory) very soon (Panasonic even has started) and you'll get wider choices.

I've bought C6 and enjoy it very much. In a year or so I'm going to buy more advanced camera but for now I'm happy.

FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 3:05 PM   #3

Awesome man, thnks for the details. I appreciate it!xnatex
xnatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 5:17 AM   #4

I was thinking of buying a camerabright, but figured it wouldn't work with the C6 since the tripod mount is not in line with the lense?

Do you know anyone who has tried as I'd love to get one if it works?

BTW I took my C6 on a recent trip to some very remote places.It lived on my beltso I came home with heaps of clips and photos I would never have takenif I'd hadto carry a "normal" size camera/video.

Kendb is offline   Reply With Quote