Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:54 AM   #1

Sinking deeper into the throes of analysis paralysis in an effort to upgrade from Xacti C5 to something with a 10X zoom, I had narrowed my choices to the Sanyo HD1 or 1a and the Panasonic S-100.

Yesterday I was able to handle both of these camcorders at Fry's Electronics and my impresssions were clear. The Panasonic probably has better video. I had already decided that. Since I'm satisfied with the video from the Sanyo C5, that is a secondary consideration. I liked the larger screen on the S-100 and it seemed to have very good image stabilization. I also liked the automatic lens cover.

However, handling characteristics of the Pany, at least for me, were very poor. For my purposes, these camcorders are carried in a shirt pocket andput to usewith one hand while I'm quail hunting with my dogs. (A shotgun occupies the other hand when I'm filming.) The Pany basically needed two hands, at least to position it for use with one hand. It's fat and clubby. For me, it was difficult to reach the controls for zoom and record when holding the Pany with one hand. Stills and videos are not conveniently interchanged.

For handling, the Sanyo is definitely more user friendly. The location of the zoom and the shutter buttons is perfect and the ability to go fromstills to video is easy, with separate record buttons. The HD1 and 1a are a tad larger than my C5, but not much. The trade off in sizefor the 10X zoom is worth it, I think.

The Pany is certainly small, making it easy to carry but not especially easy to use.The Sanyosare much more user friendly and I'll be buying the HD1a as soon as it's available.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:21 PM   #2

Yes, this is the point about the Xacti range.

Their design is beautiful.

Even if they are still resolving bugs.

If you have a camera already you should wait for the HD2.
byrnalan is offline   Reply With Quote