Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2004, 6:51 PM   #1
Default SD10: personal experiences?

Gentle readers,

I'm trying to figure out what camera to buy next. I've narrowed it down to the Sigma SD10 and Canon 10D. (I had high hopes for the Nikon D70, but the images it produces are very disappointing. Maybe it's just some nasty firmware bug that they can fix... time will tell.)

To my eyes, the SD10 produces the cleanest, most gorgeous images of any digital camera yet made -- *if* the X3 sensor gets lots of light. But low-light performance seems to be much more of a crapshoot: some of the images (e.g. at pbase.com) are terrific, but others are really quite poor. The Canon 10D never reaches the heights that the SD10 can, but it's quite good over a very wide range of shooting conditions.

So, my question for the SD10 owners here: what has your experience been? I know the best-case images are stunning, but how does it treat you on average? Do you find yourself tossing a lot of shots because of noise, focus problems, etc? Or is it a reliable companion?

I'm particularly curious how it does indoors, and how well it handles portraits -- I mention the latter because there are very few SD10 portrait shots posted on the web, and almost all of them are out of focus. Is that just pilor error, or does the camera have trouble finding the right focal plane?

Thanks in advance,

bonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links