Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:26 PM   #1

I'm new to the digital SLR scene. I have a Minolta 35mm SLR, and want to upgrade to Digital.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am gathering that Sony either bought out Minlota or something. Do I need to buy a Sony Digital SLR and can I Use my 35mm Lenses with it?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Vin
vinmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:00 PM   #2
Administrator

What kind of Minolta 35mm SLR?

If the lenses are Autofocus (Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha), they will work on the Konica Minolta Maxxum (a.k.a., Dynax) 5D, Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D, or on the new Sony DSLR-A100.

Sony did purchase Konica Minolta's assets related to camera manufacturing earlier this year. But, the new Sony DSLR models (one so far) can use Minolta Autofocus Lenses.

So, if your Minolta is a Maxxum or Dynax model, the lenses should be compatible with the newer DSLR models from Konica Minolta or Sony (and chances are, it would be difficult to find a Konica Minolta DSLR at most dealers now, since they've been discontinued).

The Maxxum/Dynax camera line was introduced in 1985, and Minolta changed the lens mount at that time, introducing a new line of Autofocus Lenses to use with it. This new Autofocus Lens mount is also used by Sony and Konica Minolta DSLR models.

If your Minolta is an older Manual Focus camera, then the lenses are not compatible. You can find an adapter to mount older manual focus lenses But, this solution has some drawbacks to it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:02 PM   #3

Sony did indeed buy Konica Minolta's photography division. If your Minolta film SLR was a Maxxum, your lenses will work. The Maxxum 5D and 7D are obviously discontinued, but are still popping up at various dealers. The safest bet would be the Sony Alpha 100 (A-100) which is an updated 5D. I bought my 5D after the announcement of the sale, but before the change took place, and I picked up a 7D from Wal-Mart a month ago. I have enough Minolta lenses that I chose to stay with the A-mount rather than switch.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote