Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:12 PM   #1

I have a wonderful but 35 year old Minolta SLR with multiple lenses. I now want to go to a digital SLR and continue to use my lenses but Minolta is not an option. What options are and what do folks recommend? Thank you.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:20 PM   #2
TDN

The Sony A100 uses the Konica Minolta mount now, because they took over the company. For actual compatibility, you'll have to ask some experts either on this forum or by searching google.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:13 PM   #3

Any Maxxum AF lenses will work...older manual focus lenses won't.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:51 AM   #4

AS LONG AS THEY ARE AUTO FOCUS...NOT THE OLDER MANUAL FOCUS
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5

Just thinking about it....

If I attach an old manual focus lens, can't it be used on a KM 5D as "manual focus"?

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Administrator

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Just thinking about it....

If I attach an old manual focus lens, can't it be used on a KM 5D as "manual focus"?
No. You can't attach them at all without some kind of adapter (which have drawbacks). It's a physically different lens mount.

Minolta abandoned the MC/MD manual focus lens mount 21 years ago in 1985 when they introduced the world's first body integral Autofocus SLR (the Maxxum 7000).

Quote:
However, a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

Any Minolta Autofocus Lens (a.k.a., Minolta AF, Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A-Mount) will work on a KM DSLR.

But, Minolta Manual Focus lenses use a different lens mount.

There are some adapters available, and you'd probably want to buy one of the third party focus screens and install it, too. ;-)

Adapters have drawbacks (for example: you'll need one with optical elements providing more mangification in order to focus to infinity with resulting loss of light, you'll need to meter stopped down since the camera won't know that a lens is attached).

If I were going to buy an adapter, I'd probably go with one with less magnification (the original Minolta MC/MD to Maxxum Adapter had the equivalent of a 2X TC built in).

If you use one without optical elements, you won't be able to focus to infinity using an adapter.

But, there are some third party adapters with less magnfication (and resulting loss of light) available on the market. Some KM DSLR owners are using adapters with 1.2 to 1.4x magnification (so loss of light would be far less than the2 stops you'd losewith theMinolta adapter).

Here is a 7 page forum thread where you may find some useful information,discussing pros and cons of both TCs and Adapters.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=2100&PN=1

Scroll down past the discussion on TCs, and you'll see a Manual Focus Lenses Section discussing adapters.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:58 PM   #7

Jim: Thanks a lot forthe detailed explanation.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote