Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:55 PM   #1

Last edited by Clazy Daze; Jun 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM.
Clazy Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #2

Sony 300mm f/2.8 (not yet shipping)

I don't know if any of our forum members own an f/2.8 lens in that focal length or not. Of course, the Minolta 300mm f/2.8G (D) SSM lens was the most desirable. But, they're pretty hard to come by now. Sony will be making it, too (see link above).

In addition to the Sigma and Tamron, you also see a Tokina 300mm f/2.8 pop up from time to time.

You can find some user reviews from KM DSLR owners at this link:

If it were me, I'd get a 1.4x or 1.5x TC for the 70-200mm f/2.8 and live with a stop dimmer lens and a bit more blur (and/or get better seats). :-)

A lot of Canon and Nikon Sports shooters really like the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX Lens as an upgrade from the 70-200mm f/2.8. But, AFAIK, Sigma's never shipped it in Minolta mount.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:41 PM   #3

Thanks Jim!
i have done a little checking, and it's surprising that the 120/300 f/2.8 hadn't been created for Minolta. The reviews from Canon owners have been very enthusiastic regarding this lens, so why Sigma hasn't produced it for Minolta is puzzling. I just now emailed Sigma regarding the chances of them creating this lens for Minolta/Sony now that Sony has entered the DSLR market. Hopefully we will have this lens available for us in the future.
At $6000 for this lens, Sony is too steep for me.... Sigma and Tamron's prices are more affordable. I just may have to check out those teleconverters, or pray harder for good concert seats! LOL!
Clazy Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:39 AM   #4

Minolta AutoFocus Reflex (mirror) 500mm f8:

Jaguar game in Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote