Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:25 PM   #11

I am still very happy with the lens and would recommend it, although I have have done very little additional evaluation after the first few day. I have been ill for the last 10 days or so and I am just not getting out again. Sorry. My main lens was a KM 24-105 3.5-4.5 and I too found it to just not be wide enough many times. The speed of the Tamron 17-50, f2.8, and the focal length of about 25-75 filmis very useful. The lens is very well built and produces very sharp images. It seems a little soft wide open at 17mm, but not bad at all. I do plan to do a lot of shooting with this lens soonand plan a trip to the mountains over Christmas. When do you plan to purchase?

Meanstreak, having the KM 24-105 in my collection, I can't justify a Tamy 28-105 f2.8, at least not now. The f2.8 would be nice and there is currently one posted on ebay. But, in the last 4 months I have aquired the Tamy 17-50 and the Sigma 10-20. I do like wide lenses.
MaxImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:44 PM   #12

Hello MaxImage,

Sorry to hear that you have been un-well. I hope that you are feeling better now.

Thanks for your feedback on the Tamron 17-50mm. Actually, the pictures that you previously posted speak volumes so (it's only money!) I've gone ahead and ordered one. Apparently they are also hard to come by up here in the "Great White North" as it is back ordered with no promised delivery date. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

As for longer focal lengths I'm pretty well covered with a 100mm f/2.8 macro and a 70-210mm f/4 zoom. It's hard to justify another lens to work in this range.

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:37 PM   #13

I am feeling much better. Thanks!

After I had decided on the Tamron 17-50 I had to wait about 4 months to get one. They are in short supply for Sony/Minolta mount. Sounds like it is the same in Canada. I don't think you will be disappointed. This is quickly becoming my favorite lens, and I have 8 total. If you have the Tamy 17-50 and a KM 70-210 f4, you are well covered for focal lenght. The 100 Macro is also a good lens from what I hear. I hope your lens arrives soon. Enjoy.
MaxImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:19 AM   #14

I'm not a pro but:

I have made a small test after receiving from B&H my tamron 17-50

and found it pretty sharp from wide angle to tele. Color and contrast

are very good and this lens will be my walkaround now replacing

lens that i've found very good but not wide and fast enough:

minolta 24-85 (sharp) 24-105 (excellent color) and sigma 24-135 (this

lens with it's wide end at f 2.8 gave me the urge to have a wider and

faster lens specially to take interior photos.) With the two tamrons

that i have (17-50 and 24-300) i can travel light adding on top of this an

other great lens: minolta 50 f1.7