Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:44 PM   #1

Does anybody know if Sunpak PZ40X II flash works properly with KM 5D ?

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:48 AM   #2

I don't think it will work with the digital Maxxums, just the film SLR's. Different TTL technology. If it does work, I'd be very interested in it.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:24 AM   #3

Apparently, it will.

I missed this thread until browsing through the list this morning. But, I just answered the same question on another thread. So, I'll copy and paste from it:

From what I can find out, the Sunpak PZ40x is supposed to be compatible with KM DSLR models (a rare find in third party strobes).

See the charts on this page:

Also, see Sunpak's guide to finding a flash (if you select a KM DSLR, then select a TTL flash, this is the *only* one that comes up as compatible):

This one appears to be one with the same x designation:

Sunpak PZ40x II AF TTL Flash at B&H

I did some digging through the forums, and found one A100 user on another forum that said "my sunpak pz40x works perfectly with the a100"

But, that was one post, from one user, with no details or sample images (and I've seen mistakes about strobes made before, just because someone happened to be at exactly the right range for flash exposure to work out OK).

Apparently, not many people appear to have tried them and you'd be taking your chances. But, it looks like it's supposed to be compatible.

If you get one, update everyone on how well it works (or doesn't). You won't have HSS or Wireless. But, it would be a slightly less expensive alternative compared to some of the other dedicated strobes available

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:42 PM   #4

Interesting. Might be worth a try. Although I would miss the 360 degree swivel head. You can't take vertical bounce flash pics with this one. Any feedback on how it works with the K5D?

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:03 PM   #5

I saw this Sunpack on Adorama site and it says it's supposed to be compatible. I am thinking about getting it, but want to do more research before taking the plunge. have been looking all over for a compatible flash for my Maxxum 7D DSLR. Have read many of the posts regarding the various flashes. whew!! lots to digest!! but thanks for all the info. if I get it certainly will post the results fyi.
Leo Russell
Saw this review at B&H this evening: Guess I won't buy it!. Think I'll stay with the Minolta 3600 HS D.

"When this flash worked it produced excellent results,
however, when it malfunctioned the results were terrible.
The biggest problem I had was the recycle time. Perhaps I
got bum flash but using top notch lithium AA batteries, the
flash sometimes took up to 20 or 30 seconds to recycle. I
missed key shots as a result of this absurdly long refresh
rate. I plan on returning this flash and getting the
comparably priced Nikon SB-600. It comes highly recommended
from a professional colleague. My advice is to avoid this
flash at all possible costs."
leo russell is offline   Reply With Quote