Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:46 PM   #1

I am not sure which forum to post this in, but since I am a KM5D user and I know Jim C. reads these threads I am posting it here. I treated myself and my family for a nice HDTV Big screen for this holiday. Does anyone know what the best setup is to actually viewmy picturesfrom my laptop through the HDTV in HD quality? Does one need an HD compatible video card, or is the quality from the computer automatically HD, given that the resolution is higher than the television anyway. Can I just connect a long VGA cable to get the best quality? The TV has a VGA input for PC's. Any experiences or link to where I can get some feedback on this? Thanks.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:44 PM   #2

Many high end video (or VIVO) cards support HDTV, but just because the video card supports native resolutions higher than HDTV on your PC doesn't mean that the video out to your TV will be HDTV compatible. If it has S-video or composite video output, it's likely to support HDTV, but if it has RCA output I wouldn't expect very good resolution on a big screen.

Most recent desktops that have VIVO or TV out should support HDTV, but laptops are lagging behind (they're often 2 generations of video behind and share the system memory instead of having high speed GRAM onboard) and due to cost and space would be quite a bit less likely to support HDTV output. High end laptops built within the last 2 years would be far more likely to have HDTV compatible outputs.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote