Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

Can anyone tell me if my Sunpak 383 Super that I use on my Pany FZ30 will work on my Alpha 100? I use it very little so I don't need much, but would hate to smoke my Alpha using the wrong voltage flash! Thanks for any help you can give.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 6:45 AM   #2

Sure. Your Sunpak has a relatively low trigger voltage (which is one reason it's popular as a non-dedicated strobe for use with modern cameras).

The hotshoe on your camera is proprietary. But, you can use a Minolta FS-1100 or third party equivalent adapter to convert it to an ISO standard shoe.

There is a vendor in hong kong with an adapter for only $14.95 + $5.00 shipping. I've got this same adapter and use it with my Maxxum 5D with a Sunpak 333 Auto (similar to your 383 Super + it has a manual zoom head built in) and Sunpak 222 Auto (smaller flash with 2 Auto ranges, tilt but no swivel).

One of the nice things about the third party adapter is that it also had a PC Sync Port built in (but, no voltage protection, so make sure to use strobes with relatively low trigger voltages like your Sunpak unless you use a Wein Safe Sync).

If you search for FS-1100 on Ebay, he usually has multiple listings for them at any given time. Here's an example:

Note that you'd need to use manual exposure on the camera and set the aperture and iso speed to match the selected aperture range on the flash (like you'd use it on your Panasonic). Of course, you would not have HSS (High Speed Sync). So, you'd be limited to a fastest shutter speed of around 1/180 second to prevent partial blackout from the shutter curtain. You can go a little faster than the x-sync speed. But, not much.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote