Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:40 PM   #1

Has anyone tested the 7D with 8GB flash cards?

I've started shooting some time-lapse photography and have found that it may be important to shoot in RAW format, particularly when the image intensity changes dramatically over the duration of the exposures. The in-camera JPEG compression algorithm seems to 'step' in it's handling of the image as it crosses certain image brightness thresholds. That is, one frame to the next can change appearance significantly. This appears as a discontinuity in a video stream when the images are pasted together into a time-lapse video. Since RAW doesn't suffer from JPEG compression, I expect (hope) that I can achieve satisfactory results if I can capture enough frames using a larger card. 8GB would allow me enough RAW frames to capture a video of sufficient length.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:17 AM   #2

I have read on DPR that some use the 8GB cards, but not many due to cost. I have been using 2GB 80x and 133x Lexar since Day 1, but got a good deal on a 4GB 133x and that is my main card for my 7D. Shooting raw+ I still get over 300 shots, and over 600 in super fine jpg,which is plenty for me.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:22 PM   #3

Ya I have the 8GB Ultra III (or II?) card. It works perfectly. Although I also carry another card, the 4GB hitachi microdrive....makes me nervous but whatever....
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote