Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:34 PM   #11

createch wrote:
There cheaper solutions with more advantages.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I agree. At $250 you may as well put in a little extra and get the dedicated flash.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:19 PM   #12

I dunno about that (get the dedicated flash). lol I haven't broken down and bought one yet for my Maxxum 5D.

I'm using a non-voltage protected third party adapter (same as sold by gadgetinfinity.com) with two different Sunpaks that I bought for $16 delivered.

Many newer strobes don't have a high trigger voltage. So, you don't need to worry about it.

If you want to use strobes that have a higher trigger voltage, that's where the voltage protection comes in, as in the Adapter mentioned in the first post in this thread, or a Minolta PCT-100 (if you can find one), or a Wein Safe Sync, or the new Sony adapter being discussed.

A radio trigger via a Minolta FS-1100 (or third party equivalent) would be another solution, or you can even get "digital aware" optical triggers if you want to use the camera's built in flash to trigger strobes.

There are number of options available for triggering non-dedicated strobes that are less expensive compared to a dedicated flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote