Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:07 AM   #1

Hello everyone.

I have a post in the "What should I buy" section relating to airshow photography. I'm doing some research and looking to purchase a DSLR to do some aircraft photography. I went out and took a look at a few cameras, and the Sony Alpha caught my eye and my hand. It seems like a good camera, I'm just thinking of a few things, mainly the 'lack of selection of lenses right now. This kind of goes with what I'm going to use this for.

For me, and photographing aircraft, it seems that a long lens, fast reliable autofocus, and a good 'burst' mode would be the most beneficial. Also, the Sony has the built in IS, which might be helpful as well, along with the anti-dust sensor stuff. I'd like to know some thoughts on those items listed above from users. Do you think the Sony alpha would be a good pick for me and what I want to use it for or should I go with another camera? Thanks.

Waltz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:33 AM   #2

I have the KM 5D which is the pre-curser to the Alpha. From my experience, the Sony will suit you well for your needs. As far as the limited lens selection...Sony hasn't explained that very well. Call it a marketing gaffe.

Actually, any Minolta Auto-Focus lens ever made will fit the Alpha. And there are millions of used lenses on the market, and at very reasonable prices. Third party manufacturers like Tamron and Sigma also have large selections of new and used lenses to choose from. I really think Sony has missed the boat as far as using Minoltas' reputation and lenses as a selling point. I guess they just want to market their name only and their pricey lenses.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck and happy shooting!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote