Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:52 PM   #11

ah! there you are jim.

As for the 100mm f/2, you should have bought the one you saw at B&H for $550
I know, i know!
For primes, I've got the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8. The 100mm f/2 is superb.
you may find this amusing, jim, but i have a list on my desk at work of all the lens you own or did at the time that particular thread was written. see, i value your knowledge

I am afraid too that the 135 would be too much for our gym. the gym is small. the 85 would prob be perfect. just a little more than the 50 1.7 i used last yearand prob a lot faster focus??
Others show up sometimes, but you'd better be quick, 'cause I'm looking too.
uh-oh tcav. so if i see something that looks promising i'd better not ask you before purchasing!! :blah:

thanks folks!! i will prob look around a bit for the 100 2.0 or hope for a big sale on the 85 1.4. let me know if you see any good deals!
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:14 PM   #12

TCav wrote:
Unfortunately for us, Canon, Nikon and Pentax have the best selection of fast wide-angle to medium telephoto lenses. Sony's 135mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.4 are all we can get new, and Sony wants $1,400 and $1,300, respectively, for them.

KEH.com has the 85mm used for $1,120. That's too rich for my blood. Others show up sometimes, but you'd better be quick, 'cause I'm looking too.
That's an EX condition gold ring G model (and KEH has conservative ratings). lol

It looks like the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G has been running in the 900s lately on Ebay from what the completed listings show. That's higher than it used to be but not too far out of line with what this type of lens should run.

I see a couple of active listings for Minolta 85mm f/1.4G AF lenses on Ebay now. So, this lens is not that hard to find.

The older non-G 85mm f/1.4 sometimes goes for less, even though the optics appear to be the same between the older G and non-G versions, with the newest version having different focus ring/ergonomics and ADI compatibility (which I personally don't care about). You pay more to get the a Gold Ring on it, even though the older non-G version still has premium glass and build quality. The G in the product name is more marketing than substance for this particular lens. ;-)

If you look at a Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, it's $1,024 at B&H (as compared to $1,299 for a Sony/Zeiss 85mm f/1.4). Or, if you look at Canon's brightest 85mm (their 85mm f/1.2L), it's fetching $1,789 (but, you do get another half stop over an f/1.4). I think their 85mm f/1.8 has a better reputation for focus speed (but, I don't know how the newest version of it is).

Canon and Nikon do have lenses that aren't as bright available at good prices (for example, their f/1.8s). That's a current weak area in the Sony lineup (they only offer premium grade lenses in many focal lengths like their 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/1.8, 135mm STF and more.

So, I'd like to see more lenses like older Minolta AF primes that are not quite as bright at a lower price (like the Minolta 28mm f/2, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8 ). I've got all of these except for the 35mm f/2 (which I wouldn't mind having). lol

But, if you look at the premium grade primes from Canon and Nikon in most focal lengths, the prices on Sony's premium grade primes are really not out of line with what they should be selling for. Good glass isn't cheap. ;-)

At B&H, the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 is running $1,024, the Sony/Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 is running $1,299 and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L is running $1,789.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:13 PM   #13

It looks like darlene just bought a Minolta 85mm f/1.4 at a "Buy it Now" price of $799:

That's premium quality glass for less than Nikon or Canon's brightest 85mm lenses are running. Remember, Minolta made over 16,000,000 Autofocus lenses and far less KM or Sony DSLR owners are trying to find lenses right now compared to Canon and Nikon shooters (although that's sure to change as more users buy Sony DSLR models).

IMO, that's a fantastic choice, especially since Sony is improving the Autofocus algorithms, beefing up the AF sensor assembly, installing faster focus motors and more in newer bodies. So, as cameras improve, lenses like these will be even "sweeter" as time passes. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote