Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:09 AM   #1

Hello, I have a Minolta Maxxum 7000i system with several minolta lenses.

Are this lens compatible with the new Konica-Minolta SLR digital cameras?

vvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:21 AM   #2

I've moved your post to our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha DSLR Forum

Yes, your Minolta Autofocus lenses will work fine on a Konica Minolta or Sony DSLR model.

One thing you'll want to be aware of is that lenses will appear to be longer (because these DSLR models use an APS-C size sensor that's smaller than 35mm film, so you'll have a narrower angle of view/more apparent magnification for a given focal length lens).

Just multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x to see how they compare. For example, a 100mm lens on a Sony or Konica Minolta DSLR model will give you the same angle of view as a 150mm lens on your Maxxum 7000i (100 x 1.5 = 150)

That's great if you want a longer focal length. But, on the wide end, you may find that some of your lenses start out too long (since you can only back up so far in some conditions). That's why most of the kit lenses you see with most DSLR models start out at around 18mm. For example, the 18-70mm "kit" lens you often see bundled with these DSLR models would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-105mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Sony acquired Konica Minolta's camera related assets and has released two DSLR models so far, the Sony DSLR-A100 (a.k.a., Alpha 100), and the Sony DSLR-A700 (a.k.a., Alpha 700)

These models work with lenses designed for Minolta Autofocus Mount (a.k.a., Minolta A-Mount, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha) Lenses, and you also get stabilization with every lens (thanks to the in body stablization system built into these camera models).

These are lenses I use on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony Alpha 700: Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro; Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8; Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4. All Autofocus (and all are stabilized on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote