Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1

I'm thinking of getting the Sony 18-250 lens. Does anyone have any experience with this lens on the km5d? I want to know about the focusing speed on the 5d. I read that this lens isnt sealed, which can be problematic in cold or wet areas. Are the sigma/tamron lens of the same sizesealed? Has anyone compared it to the sigma or tamron lens (on the 5d)?

PS: I just got my 5d back from precision for a fbf problem, they did a great job, so far so good. They cleaned it and replaced the focusing screen, which i wanted. Free too!

jwazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:56 PM   #2

The Sony 18-250 is the Tamron 18-250 with a different nameplate. Also, user comments seem to indicate that the Sony version focuses faster than the Tamron version.

Sigma does not have an 18-250. Sigma has an 18-200, as do Tamron and Sony (also a rebrnaded Tamron) (and, previously, Minolta, which was also a rebranded Tamron.) I'm familiar with the Minolta 18-200. It has significant geometric distortion at the wide end, significant chromatic aberration at the long end, and is soft throughout its range.

All accounts are that the 18-250 is much better, and is probably the best superzoom available. And if the Sony autofocuses faster than the Tamron, and they cost the same, then I think the Sony is the better deal.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote