Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 10, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 750

Started doing some test shots today with the new A-700 and discovered a potential problem

The "kit lens" that came with my A-100 locks on smoothly and works just fine.

All of the Minolta Maxxum lens seemed to turn to stiff into the lock position.

The 35-70mm was very firm on lock up and it would focus and shoot, then not focus or shoot. I would turn off the camera and turn it back on and the same thing happend.

The 50mm was a firm fit but would focus and fire as you would expect it to, same with the 70-210.

All of these lens worked perfectly on my A-100.

Should I return the camera while still in the return grace window?

Any other suggestions?

I love the camera and sure don't want to screw up the mount with the Minolta lenses.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 6:26 AM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,372

Did you look at the camera's lens mount for any obvious problems (for example, one or more of the mount screws not tightened all the way down)?

I have not seen that reported with the A700. But, I have seen this problem come up on other models (lens mount screws not tightened all the way down causing binding and connection issues).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 9:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 750

Thanks Jim. I checked the screws and was able to tweak a couple of them very slightly. I don't think that was the problem and didn't want to overdue that sort of thing.

A reply on AlphaMountWorld suggested that I make absolute sure the mounts were clean and that the lens do connect on the stiff side as a prevention of moisture and dust entry into the camera.

The lens (Minolta AF 35-70) that was giving me the trouble did show a tiny bit of evidence of dirt on the back side of one of the locking lugs.
I wiped all the mounts including the camera with a clean cloth and a dab of alchohol.

After cleaning and making sure that I installed the lens correctly (gently rotate and then twist to lock at the end of the rotation) and tried again.

I was also advised that the lens will "wear" in with use and all should be well.

I have retried all the lens and all is well.

I can now sleep well.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:56 PM.