Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 25, 2008, 8:12 PM   #1

Slipped on a rock and slammed my camera down (and myself with it). The 18-70mm kit lens popped off and rolled into a puddle. It's pretty much a paperweight now. When I got back to my car I tried a different lens and amazingly the body still worked fine! For 24 hrs. The next day while shooting I turned it off to switch lenses and it started making a pulsating noise at start-up. It'll power up and all lenses focus lock, but it won't fire when the shutter release is pressed. Tried resetting defaults, taking battery out, tightening mount screws, went thru CCD cleaning procedure...any other ideas?

Obviously something went bad when I dropped it, but why did it show up after taking another 30-40 exposures? I already checked with Precision Camera, they want $268 to repair it. Is it worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Since, I've seen the new A200 on sale for as low as $499 for a kit with an 18-70mm lens, I don't think I'd spend over half of that just to try and repair an older model body that's been dropped.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 3:30 PM   #3

I'm with JimC. The A200 is just too much of a bargain to spend $268 to repair a 5D.

But maybe a local camera repair shop can fix the problem for less.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote