Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1

Ive been searching around but can't find any info on what the write speed is on the A300. I currently have a lexar udma 300x 4GB card but want to get an 8GB and was wondering if I should still stick with the fast 300x card or if its just overkill if the camera can't even write that fast.

firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:43 AM   #2

First, there's no such thing as 'too fast'. A UDMA card may be more that you need now, but maybe not later, and maybe not for your next camera.

Second, if you shoot RAW continuous, I think you should stick with 300x cards. But if you only shoot JPEG continuousyou could probably get away with a 133x card, and if you never shoot continuous, you could probably go even slower.

Notice that the slower the card you use, the less stuff you can do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:32 AM   #3

The A300 cannot take advantage of a UDMA card (only the A700 can in the Sony lineup). Tests I've seen show no performance increase between a fast 133x card (i.e., Lexar 133x) versus a 300x UDMA card in the other Sony Alpha models (only the A700 uses UDMA).

Also, unless you're using a UDMA capable Firewire card reader, you will not have any increase in performance for transferring images either.

I'd probably stick to a fast 133x type card (Sandisk Extreme III, Lexar 133x, Transcend 133x, etc.), given the cost difference (UDMA cards tend to cost a lot more), unless you plan on upgrading to a UDMA capable camera body sometime soon (right now, that's only the Sony A700, Olympus E-3, Nikon D3, Nikon D300 and the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:07 PM   #4

thank you both, thats kind of the line I was thinking about, which is why I bought the card I have now. I'd rather have something that is more than I need than is not enough. Im definitely amateur right now but who knows, maybe I will see a better camera in the near future...
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote