Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:37 AM   #1

Hello All, Im wasn't sure if I should post this here or the "general" section but here it goes...

I want to plan a trip to Alaska, Ive always wanted to see the Aurora Borealis, the time I will be going temperatures will easily be 0 to -20 degrees. Would this affect the camera at all? If nobody knows does anyone know where I could find that info at. I have a feeling it will be fine but I would like to make sure.

Its the sony A300.

p.s. anyone want to recommend a lens for shooting the Aurora? I would probably want a bright lens right? Do you think I should go zoom or prime lens?
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:05 AM   #2

For the Aurora, Gislihas posted some of the most amazing photos here. See his http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

The Instruction Manual for the A300 lists the operating temperature as 0 to 40°C or 32 to 104°F.

A lower limit of 32°F usually means there's something in there that will turn solid when water freezes.

If you can keep the camera warmer than 32°F most of the time, and only expose it to temperatures below that or short periods, you probably won't have any problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:26 AM   #3

1.Use only genuine Sony batteries. Some clones don't work at low temperatures.

2.Carry a spare battery in a warm pocket.

3.LCDs can stop working at low temperatures so don't count on using live view.

4.It's difficult to operate a camera when wearing gloves - your biggest problem may be your fingers!

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:29 AM   #4

Frank has it right, esp about the fingers. I have used four different digicams in temps down to -40 with no problems other than the LCD ceasing to work at about -30F (it recovered when warmed up). The best strategy for shooting in the cold is let the camera get cold and keep it cold until you go inside. BEFORE you go inside, put the camera into a plastic bag and keep it in the bag until it is warmed up. Condensation is the major danger with cold weather. I think the temp limits on cameras (and other electronics) is to prevent the manufacturer from being blamed for condensation that occurs when people try to keep their cameras warm.

Folks here have greased pig catching contests in the middle of the winter.
Attached Images
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5

thank you all, that helps a lot. and those images by gisli are incredible. I will have to do a lot of practicing with night shots..
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote