Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:35 PM   #1

I bought a Minolta Maxxum AF T thread adapter for my Sony A300 SLR so I could attach my generic 'stop down' manual 400mm F6.3 lens (old Spiratone), or an eyepiece adapter for my telescope. When I tried to shoot in A Priority mode I got the dreaded 'no lens attached' error. Setting the shutter release priority to release didn't help. Now while in A mode the camera DID meter and allow me to see the required shutter speed as I rotated the F stop ring on the lens. It seems the answer is RTFM (read the fraggin manual), the camera will NOT operate in any mode but MANUAL with a chipless lens. So after metering my exposure I changed the mode to M and then I was able to press the shutter and take a shot. BTW you can buy a telescope eyepiece adapter and T ring set from http://www.scopestuff.com. Celestron also makes this and you can get it any any Celestron dealer.

kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:09 PM   #2

From page of the Sony A300/A350 Instruction Manual:

"The lens is not attached properly, or the lens is not attached.When attaching the camera to astronomical telescope or something similar, set the recording mode to M."

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:23 PM   #3

Yup, took me a while to find that.
I went down a blind alley reading suggestions on forums to try the
shutter priority AF release option. The A700 has yet another option for this too.
If someone would make a T thread ring with a chip in it that would interact with the
camera to allow "setting" the F stop the camera could be used in A mode.

For use with a telescope to take astronomical pictures though it's no problem to just
shoot manual (actually S mode) since the Fstop is fixed and the shutter in most cases gets set on bulb anyway for an exposure of minutes to hours. The (full) moon OTHO would be
1/100 sec at F16 at iso 100.
kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote