Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1

Sony Version 4.0 Firmware Update for Alpha 700:

Benefits over firmware version 3:
  • Adds a "2 steps/3 shots" option to the "Bracket: Single" and "Bracket: Cont." Drive mode settings for auto exposure bracketing.[/*]
  • Adds an "Off" option to the "High ISO NR" (Noise Reduction) setting.[/*]
  • Provides improvements in picture quality when using a high ISO setting; color noise is minimized in images captured using an ISO setting of 1600 or higher.[/*]
  • Provides improvements to the Auto White Balance (WB), especially when taking pictures using the flash.[/*]
  • Improves performance of the D-range Optimizer (DRO). The ability to discriminate between scenes has been improved, and the scope to which the advanced DRO effect can be applied has been broadened.[/*]
  • Improves the ability to make a successful connection with the VG-C70AM vertical grip.[/*]
Additional benefits over earlier firmware versions:
  • Resolves an issue where the Access Lamp remains lit and the camera stops responding when several pictures are taken in rapid succession.[/*]
  • Resolves an issue where powering the camera off while in "MR" mode may cause some registered settings to carry over to other shooting modes.[/*]
  • Sharper images for pictures taken under low contrast conditions[/*]
  • Reduced noise for pictures taken at ISO 3200[/*]
  • Improved flash control for objects closer than 1 meter with non ADI controlled lenses[/*]
See the links on this page for the newer Version 4.00 firmware, as well as newer supporting Software for the A700. You can select the desired operating system (Windows, Mac) from a drop down list:

Sony Drivers and Downloads for Alpha 700

See this page for a list of improvements to both the camera's Firmware and supporting Software:

Updates to DSLR-A700 Firmware, Image Data Converter SR, Image Data Lightbox SR, Remote Camera Control

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:20 PM   #2

SWEET! Upgraded earlier today. Haven't tested the new additions out yet but I did turn off the High ISO NR. Not sure if I should have though.

what do you other A700 owners set it at? I thought I remember reading a lot of people wanted to turn it off.

and I think I will be playing with the 2steps/3 shots setting a little bit, I'd like to play around with the whole HDR images a little. I think those are interesting.

any comment on whether to use single shots or continuous? why would you want to use one vs. the other?
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3

I would like to buy an alpha 700, but how does it work with this firmware?

If i buy a new camera, is the firmware allready installed, or do i have to install all the firmware ever made for the 700 to have the latest version? :?

I would by a a700, 70-300 G and a CZ 16-80

Is this a good choice or should i wait the 70-400 G

What do you think, please let me know
didispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4

It may or may not be installed (depending on when a given camera was manufactured).

If V4 is not already installed on an A700, you only need to install the latest V4 firmware (there is no need to install any previous version to directly upgrade to the latest release).

As for lens choice, that depends on what you want to shoot. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:07 PM   #5

You can go to the local Circuit City ang get one for under $900. I have the CZ1870Z with the A700 and it's awsome!!!!
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote