Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:32 PM   #1

I have several lenes for my Minolta Dynax 7 SLR and have been holding back getting a DSLR . This is due to the changes in focal length and possible image distortion I have been told about. I am very interested in the new Sony A900 with its full size sensor. Does this mean I can use my lenses with the A900 and get the best out of both?

Cheers Brian
sir_brian_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:33 PM   #2

But there are no "changes in focal length and possible image distortion" with other Sony dSLRs. The focal length of a lens is the focal length of a lens, and the camera it's attached to doesn't affect that.

What does change is the angle of view. Since the APS-C size image sensor in other Sony dSLRs is about 1/3 smaller than a 35mm film exposure, so is the angle of view. As a result, for instance, a 50mm lens on a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor will have an angle of view equivalent to a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

And if a lens projects an undistorted image onto 35mm film, it will project an undistorted image onto a digital image sensor as well.

I think that some of the information you've been given is not correct.

Some might even consider the smaller image sensor in most dSLRs to be an advantage. A 300mm lens with an APS-C image sensor would have the angle of view of a 450mm lens on a 35mm film camera. If your intrest might be in wildlife photography, that might be a welcome development.

And any image distortion typically occurs at the preimiter of the image projected by a lens, and a smaller image sensor would have the effect of cropping off the distorted portions of the image.

So you may find that the less expensive Sony dSLRs might actually provide you with some advantages you didn't have with your Dynax 7, besides not having to pay for film and developing, and the savings of the less expensive dSLR body.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote