Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:02 PM   #21

Yes, full field now. Ive been shooting with my 420mm f2.8-f2.8 FZ20 the last 4 years and all was fine until this year with the kids moving to the full size field and getting much faster. Have always wanted faster AF but I had the reach and on sunny days shutter speeds were reasonable.

I've used a program called "Exposure Plot" to inventory all my shots from the last 3 years - about 30% of all shots were at 300mm or longer.

Since the move to full size fields this fall I've taken to standing off the end line with the thought I'd be shooting the midfielders and forwards in the offensive zone. I also shoot the defense and goalie from the sidelines. I thought I was shooting fewer shots over 300mm but after reading your comment I went back and inventoried just my "keeper" shots of the past 4 months. I was quite surprised to see that about 43% of my shots are over 300mm. A lot of these I've cropped and reduced in size for posting to a team photo site.

I'd previously considered using a Sigma 50-500 or the Tamron 200-500 but I was worried they may force me to shoot above iso800 which I don't want to do, and the AF speed may not be where I want it - though certainly it will be better than I have right now. I also really like the look of the images coming from the 70-300G SSM and was considering this lens for my day-to-day walk around lens, particularly its' control of CA and being quite sharp end to end.

Sports is just one of my interests but at least half my shooting is done from the sideline. I also want to get better aviation images at airshows, more of wildlife in my travels, and of course, the kids being kids.

What to do? Shoot only in sunlight perhaps.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote