Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:34 PM   #11

you are right and i told him that and he still wants it he is only 20 and he does not care how will they look cuz he is doing video in HD
adrian_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:03 AM   #12
Super Moderator

I've been trying to work out how best to answer this, I've shot 6 weddings as paid pro as well as previously being a 2nd shooter for a full time pro. I'm still not anywhere near the place I would like to be with my skills but each time I learn something new.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My advice is to practise shooting group shoots both indoors and out, trying different settings so you know how these will affect your results and go from there. Unfortunately there is not a single mode that will suffice, I mix between aperture priority and manual when shooting a wedding, within this I'm also not keeping those settings the same as with the ISO values and also flash and exposure compensation.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Another good thing to do is take a look at the work of other photogsto see what you might be able to aim for. Look at how they set up groups (something I still find hard) and also ideas for shooting the B&G (again an area Ineed more ideas for).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you are willing to put some time into this you will get there, but it will take practise from you before to make the most of it as there is a lot going on, you don't want to miss the important sections so be prepared.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Feel free to take a look at what I've produced, it is nowhere near the best that is out there but it will give you a starting point.

Lastly, I would stick to one lens covering about 28-70+ mm in 35mm terms, an external flash is pretty much essential, spare batteries, lots of memory.

Take more shots than you need as this will give the best chance for getting some that they will be happy with. If I doing a full day from prep to the end of the evening I would take about 900 shots which after removing the bad facial expressions, blinks, candid shots of no interest etc I end up with about 500 usable ones. The more events I do the more keepers I get.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote