Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:50 AM   #1

this will be about as stupid as it gets. Had a panasonic fz30 - 8mp. I would shoot raw or at highest setting. If I wanted to resize it, say for a 10x8, the aspect ratio always just worked out, I would just leave the constrain proportions checked, always came out to like a 10x8.5.
Got a new camera, sony a300. Playing around with it. Take a pic at full resolution or raw. Now when I go to resize, it comes out to like 10x6.5.

does this mean I have to now crop it first or am I missing something here?
Only settings I see for aspect ratio are 16:9 and 3:2 on camera.

hope is right forum, did not know if editor or camera forum.

Told u it was stupid question.
Thanks for any info
(using photoshop and acdsee pro)

p.s. panasonic is great camera after comparing the two, mainly because it has a 2.8 - 3.7 on it's 35-420mm zoom. Definitely going to have to pick up some new lenses for the sony for indoor pics
donberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:44 AM   #2

The Panasonic FZ30, indeed all P&S digicams use an image sensor with an aspect ratio of 4:3. When you switch to 16:9, it just crops the top and bottom of the image.

The Sony A300, indeed most dSLRs have an image sensor with an aspect ratio of 3:2 because that's the aspect ratio used in 35mm film photography, and the lenses that dSLRs use are, for the most part,the same lenses that were used on 35mm film SLRs. In fact, Canon and Nikon still make 35mm flim SLRs, and, for the most part, they use the same lenses as their digital SLRs.

So, with an image with an aspect ratio of 3:2 printed 10 inches wide, the height is going to be 6.667 inches high.

I don't know what program you're using to print with, but most applications will print a 3:2 photo by cropping the left and right sides. You may be getting what you are because of the option to "constrain proportions". Turn that off and see what happens. And if the shot isn't cropped the way you want, you can crop it yourself before you print, and save the cropped image (or not) as a seperate file so you'll still have the original in case you want it later.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote