Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 24, 2008, 4:58 AM   #1

i want to get a sigma fisheye but dont know what would be the best with my a100... can anyone help me out?? should i get the sigma 8mm or 10mm or the sony 16mm??
flipinflopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:54 AM   #2

There are different types of fisheye lenses. There's the kind that projects a 180° view into a circle in the center of the image sensor, and there's the kind that projects a 180° view from corner to corner across the image sensor. And if that isn't enough, there are fisheye lenses that do that stuff on an APS-C image sensor and there are those that do that stuff on a full frame image sensor.

Sigma makes all four kinds. Since your A100 has an APS-C image sensor, the Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 Circular Fisheye and the 10mm f/2.8 Diagonal Fisheye are appropriate. Sigma also makes an 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fisheye, that would be about half way between the other two, but it's designed to be a circular fisheye on a 35mm film or full frame digiral SLR. Sigma also has a 15mm f/2.8 Diagonal Fisheye that, like the Sony 16mm f/2.8,is designed for film and full frame SLR, but on an APS-C dSLR like your A100, would just be a really wide angle lens.

So any of the 4.5mm, 8mm, or 10mm would give you a 'Fisheye' effect. The amount of coverage you want the image to have will vary with the focal length. The 10mm will fill the image, while the 4.5mm will create afisheye image in the center of the image sensor, surrounded by black, and the 8mm will be somewhere in between.
Attached Images
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote