Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 27, 2008, 8:58 PM   #11

Ok so I took my camera into a local store where I purchased my camera and we played with a few settings. Turns out thats all it was. The d-range was set to advanced level 2, when we changed it to Standard everything was fine. So must be something with that setting and the camera working harder to produce the results.

actually, now that I think of it, I still don't understand why it only did that on jpeg and not raw nor raw+jpeg.

so im really not sure if its completely solved or what... darn, i was excited for a second there.
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:55 AM   #12

From the Sony A700 User's Guide, page 56: "... the speed of continuous shooting is slower when shooting under dark conditions or the D-Range Optimizer is set to D-R+ (Advanced Auto) or D-R+ (Advanced: Level)."

From the Sony A700 User's Guide, page 67: "D-Range Optimizer other than D-R (Standard) has no effect on RAW files."

Very curious. Why would the D-Range Optimizer Advanced settings not affect the speed of Continuous Shooting until the images needed to be transferred from the buffer to the memory card? Perhaps the A700 can't do two things at once(?)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:01 AM   #13

I know this is an old thread but I believe I may have your answer.

When selecting JPEG format, the camera is performing corrections and changes which take time to process, this processing time fills up the available buffer in the camera resulting in slow write speeds to the memory card. Shooting RAW takes the image without any processing and dumps it directly to the memory card, the only bottleneck at this point is speed of the card and available buffer in the camera.

Hope this helps
frozenpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:46 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome frozenpuck, good to have you on board and commenting.

Good logic, but unfortunately thet processing time is really quite tiny and the much smaller jpg file size doesn't take nearly as long to save so the buffer doesn't get full as quickly as when using RAW.

For some real world numbers check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra700/12

Don't let that put you off posting, Steve's is a great place to hang out

Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:09 PM   #15

and thanks for bringing an old thread back with new suggestions/comments! appreciate it!
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote