Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:58 PM   #1

Hi guys!

First post here. Just found this forum through a Google search, as I was looking for a Sony DSLR forum. I have a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR (purchased last July). I took it on a round-the-world trip last Summer for three months (South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, China, New Zealand, Hawaii, then back to the U.S.). Somewhere between Malaysia and China I noticed two dark spots in the viewfinder. I immediately took my lens off and cleaned it from both ends, put it back on, but the dirt was still there. I then realized that it was there regardless of which lens I had attached to the camera body (I have the original Sony lens 18-70mm and a Tamron 70-300mm). But when I downloaded the pictures to my laptop, there was no dirt to be seen anywhere.

So my question is: Where could the dirt, that I only see through the viewfinder, be located?

ObiYawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:35 PM   #2

Welcome to Steve's!

There are two good possibilities.
  1. They could be on the mirror.[/*]
  2. They could be on the focusing screen.
Either of those are easy to clean. You can use a blower brush, but that would just scatter the dirt inside the mirror box. What I would use is a Q-Tip dampened (NOT WET) with distilled water. When you take off the lens, you should be able to see them if they're on the mirror, and a quick swipe witht he dampend Q-Tip would take care of it. If you don't see them on the mirror, they may be on the focusing screen, but they would be hard to see. Try cleaning the focusing screen with the Q-Tip.

If the spots persist, it's possible that there's dirt in the pentamirror assembly. That should only be cleaned by a qualified camera repair technician, but your local camera store should be able to put you in touch with one.

Good luck with that, and I hope it's one of the two good possibilities.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote