Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 26, 2009, 9:23 PM   #1

I just bought the A700 and tried to open my images. I had to install the Sony software on my MAC. I cant seem to use PS . How is this done? I hope I can download my images on my card reader and use PS. Thank you. I am new to this forum
habib44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:21 PM   #2

Sure, you can download the images using a card reader.

I've used a Sony A700 since September 2007, and I've never bothered to install the software that came with the camera.

If you do want to use the software, I'd make sure to get the latest updates. If you go to this page and select your Operating System, you'll see updates:

Photoshop (and most other image editors) can view and edit jpeg images from the A700.

If you're shooting in raw (or compressed raw), you'll need software that knows how to convert the images to a usable format. If you're using Adobe Camera Raw with Photoshop, you'll need Camera Raw version 4.2 or higher for A700 support (which requires PS CS3).

The latest version for Photoshop CS3 is Camera Raw version 4.6. You'll see the Mac version on this page:

If you're using Photoshop CS4, the version of Camera Raw that shipped with it should already work with raw files from the A700. If you want to install the latest version anyway, you can get it from here:

If you're using Photoshop CS2 or earlier, then you will not be able to open raw files from the A700, without converting them to .dng format first. You can use the free Adobe DNG converter for that purpose.

What version of Photoshop do you have now?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:23 PM   #3

You posted this in our Sony Forum (which is setup for Sony's Point and Shoot Camera models).

We have a separate Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum setup for dSLR models like your A700. So, I've moved this thread there for you.

BTW, Welcome to the Forums.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote