Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 13, 2009, 3:16 PM   #1
Default ExifTool updated for Sony A200

About a week or so ago, I contacted Phil Harvey (author of the ExifTool program, which IMO is the most comprehensive EXIF data extractor program out there) and asked him how difficult it would be for him to update his ExifTool program and incorporate some extra information from the Sony A200 exif data (I was particularly interested in obtaining the actual camera settings for Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness - recently discussed here, as well as the flash settings - ADI vs. TTL). He quickly responded to my email asking for some sample images from the A200 at the various settings, which I promptly provided. We've exchanged some emails during this time and today Phil sent me a final email announcing the availability of the ExifTool 7.78, which incorporates all the data described above. Even though he updated his pgm based on the A200 EXIF data, I believe the program will accurately report extracted data from the A230, A300, A330, A350 and A380 since they all offer the same camera settings as the A200. I think the A700 and A900 have more options, thus the EXIF information may not match 100% but it's certainly worth it a try. So, now if you use the ExifTool GUI interface to display the EXIF data extracted by the ExifTool 7.78 (please note that the GUI interface is not written by Phil), you'll see under the Sony tag the actual values set in the camera (the GUI interface can show the tag values as numbers - this is set under Options). It's awesome. Now I can easily play with the various camera setting combinations, analyze the results and quickly see what setting produced the best image for my taste. Thanks, Phil!!!

Last edited by Tullio; Jun 14, 2009 at 12:11 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:57 PM   #2

Thanks for making ExifTool supporting more Sony data.
AntBlog701 (blog) | SillyDog701 (website)
antony is offline   Reply With Quote