Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Default Lens for shooting lightning pictures?

What lens should I use for taking photos of lightning? Is there a lens better suited for this kind of photography or will any lens do? I use a A200 if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
new york is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:31 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Assuming you have the kit lens then this will generally be fine as usually you will be in the medium focal length range and stopped down a little to say f5.6. However it will depend how far away you are shooting, so if the lighting is a way off then you will want a longer lens. I don't have any lighting photos left as unfortunately these were on an old drive that wasn't fully backed up and went out a few years ago.

Basic settings (not a fixed rule and it is worth experimenting).

Shutter - bulb
Aperture - f5.6
ISO - 100
Focal length - as needed to frame the lighting
Good tripod
Cable release (not essential but will help)
Plastic bag or something to cover the camera as you are likely to find a bit of rain around at some point.

I would do a quick google search as this topic is discussed quite a bit on different sites and you will find different suggestions and see how these affect the final result.

Would love to see some shots when you have given it a go.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote