Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:46 PM   #1
Default Sony A700 Raw Image Question

How are you guys viewing and processing images shoot on your A700 in the RAW image quaility mode?

Never down anything with RAW before but just shot some RAW=Jpeg images of a sunset to play with it.

If it matters I have MS picture It and Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 soon to be 7.0 but the neither can open the images

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:42 AM   #2

I'm using Bibble Pro right this minute (the newer 5.0 Preview 2, which is still a work in progress). I like Bibble since it's cross platform (Linux, Windows, Mac), and I use both Linux and Windows. Note that if you purchase a 4.x version of Bibble now, you'll get a free upgrade to 5.0 when it's released.

In a free solution, look at Raw Therapee:

If you want to open your files using PS Elements, you'll need to install a newer version of the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin. The last version that's compatible with Elements 5 is Camera Raw version 4.6. Download link:

You'll need to unzip the download using something like Winzip in order to extract the Camera Raw.8bi plugin file. Then, you just copy the extracted Camera Raw.8bi plugin to the correct folder so that Elements can use it.

Installation instructions for Elements 5:

To install with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0:

1. Exit Photoshop Elements
2. Open My Computer
3. Double-click Local Disk C
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop Elements.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:53 PM   #3

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:05 PM   #4

I'm using Apple Aperture on a mac and like it a lot. I also have Photoshop Elements 6 for mac and it processes the raw files from my a700.
Raw is definitely the way to go. With so many programs working with raw files it just as easy as working with jpeg in the past.
I don't even bother with jpeg any more unless I want to email or post.

Last edited by lomitamike; Sep 24, 2009 at 3:09 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote