Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:04 AM   #1
Default Upgrading Lense

I recently purchased the Sony Alpha 350 with the standard kit lense 75-300. I am looking to upgrade the lense and was after some advice and recommendations. ive looked at to 70-300G lense and also the SAL70-400G. I am currently using the camera for aircraft pictures but also preparing to go travelling for a year including african safari. looking at the 70-400 lense it appears a little big and heavy to be carrying around for a year. Has anybody any experiance on either of these 2 lenses.

Any comments welcome
MKLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:18 AM   #2

You probably won't find many people that have exerience with both.

Yes, the 70-400 'G' is big and heavy, but equivalent lenses are bigger and heavier.

As for the 70-300 'G', it's bigger and heavier than anything else in it's range.

You won't find better lenses anywhere, but if size and weight are a consideration, Tamron's 70-300 Di LD ($170) is nice, as is Minolta's 100-400 APO ($616 at KEH.com.)
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote