Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:24 AM   #11

Dammit, the company I was dealing with say they cannot get one from Sigma, as they have stopped making that lens with a Sony fitting.

And I had pretty much given upon finding a UK based store where itwas really in stock, plus I don't want to buy a second hand one.

Any alternatives people can recommend please?
starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:00 AM   #12

The new version with optical stabilisation and an af engine is due any day; already available in one or two online shops in Sweden(cost is approximately 35% higher than previous version), so should be the same for the UK, I'd think?
If not, then the old version is likely still available from ebay (hongkong: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-17-70mm-...a5449d506#shId) or through amazon.co.uk(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-17-70m...3463064&sr=1-3)
Lindinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:10 AM   #13

The Tamron 17-50, and the Sony/Zeiss 16-80 are also very good.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:01 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support.

In the end I went for the Sony 18-250, a bit more money than i wanted to spend, but I was impressed by reviews and could also get it from a local shop, (so I got to actually hold it before parting with the cash).

Today we had decent weather for the first time in weeks, so I headed outto try it in a new location to me. As advertised the autofocus was fast, and by paying attention to what it was focusing on, I had good results - even when firing off shots rapidly to catch wildlife.

I see no noticable colour fringes, and its nice and sharp across the range.

I am now very happy, and feel I can get great results from the camera!

Thanks again to everyone who got me to this point!
starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote