Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:32 AM   #1
Default Sigma 400mm F/5.6 lens

I am looking at an older Sigma 400mm F/5.6 lens to purchase for use on my Sony a200. I was wandering about compatibility issues with this lens and newer Sony dslrs. This is a situation were I cannot try before I buy and was wandering if there was someone out there who had some experience with this particular lens.
shutterdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:54 AM   #2

Have you looked at Dyxum? They have user reviews for two versions of that lens:

Sigma - 400 F5.6
Sigma - 400 F5.6 APO telemacro

It's an older Sigma lens, and older Sigma lenses wouldn't work with newer Minolta and Sony bodies without a chip upgrade. Unfortunately, there's no way to know if an older Sigma lens has been upgraded without trying it, and the chip upgrades are no longer available. But if it works with any of Minolta's third genreation AF bodies (xi, GT, or si) or later (5, 7, 9, 7D, or 5D), it should work with your A200.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3

I originally wanted that lens as a low cost birding item but I changed my mind after I found a Sigma 120-400/4.5-5.6 APO DG with a 2x converter for CHEAP. I will probably put it to use when I go to Fuji at the end of the month for the GT race. If you can't find the prime try looking for this lens. The newer version has HSM.
baka is offline   Reply With Quote