Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 7, 2010, 8:44 PM   #1
Default Sony A200 help!!

Hello. I just bought an A200 from someone off Craiglist real cheap. Seemed to be nothing really wrong with it, but now that I am learning how to use it I have a problem.

Every pic I take is blurry. No matter what setting. Well blurry might not be the right word.......how about not sharp enough? This is with a flash, no flash, any focal length, night, day, any iso setting, etc. They just don't look like pics taken with an SLR....

Also, if I use anything but ISO 100, the pics get ALOT of noise in them. ISO 400 hurts to look at, even when taken in bright daylight.

I have even tried a tripod and using the timer, made sure the lens looks clean, now I am just wondering if my camera itself might be dirty or out of alignment.

I will post pics if requested. I am at my whits end, and am about to sell it since my point and shoot image quality is better....
lwrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 9:27 PM   #2

Couple of quick questions.

Is the af switch set to af, and does the af work?

Are the electrical contacts on the camera body and lens clean?

Are you using the center af mark in the viewfinder? Hit the Fn button, then select the AF area box, then select spot.

If the answer to these is yes, then you might try a system reset, it's in the menu on the right under the "wrench" icon, item three.

In other words make sure the lens and camera are talking to each other.

Maybe you could post a pic, and include exif data, which might reveal a clue.
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3

i just found out me sensor is real dirty. Now I am trying to find a way to clean it.

ooo...I am also in pensacola
Old May 8, 2010, 5:40 AM   #4

You can take your camera to any camera shop and they can clean the sensor for you. If you'd prefer to do it yourself, take a look at http://www.copperhillimages.com/inde..._Hill_Products

Can you post some samples of the images you're getting?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 7:14 AM   #5

I verified my sensor is very dirty, following this guide

here is what mine looked like....

using some electronic sensor cleaner and a lent-less wipe, I was able to get it alot better, but still not perfectly clean.

here is some pics that I have taken that turned out not so good...they have just ever so slight blur to them.....

and here is one with the ISO at 400.....anything other that 100 turns out really noisy

Old May 8, 2010, 7:55 AM   #6

We can't see the camera settings in some of those photos, since the EXIF has been stripped out by your editing. For example, the photo with the car in it and photo with the grill in it do not have any EXIF.

Judging from their "tone mapped" names, my guess is that they were heavily post processed in some way, too.

For better responses, I'd post downsized versions of the originals, including EXIF info, without any post processing (so that members can see things like camera settings being used, and how the photo looked without any post processing).

Note that you will have a much shallow Depth of Field with a dSLR model. So, you'll need to be more aware of your focus point and how your camera settings are impacting it. See this page for more info:

New dSLR owners often confuse softness due to depth of field issues with blur from other causes, since a non dSLR model with a much smaller sensor is going to have a *lot* more depth of field for a given subject framing and aperture. So, if you're focusing on a closer subject with a dSLR, your background is going to get softer, much faster as you get further away from that focus point at given aperture setting. That can be a good thing if you want to blur the background to help your subject stand out from it, or a bad thing if you want both closer and further away subjects to be sharper. So, you'll need to become accustomed to Depth of Field differences between a point and shoot and a dSLR and learn to adjust your aperture accordingly when you need more Depth of Field.

As for the flash photo, it's underexposed (and noise is going to be worse in underexposed areas of an image). Cameras will often turn white to mid gray when there is a lot of it in an image (i.e., the wall in the background) . Be careful of focus point and the matrix metering will normally give more weight to it (I'd suggest you selecting the focus point versus letting the camera select it). That one looks like it used the left middle focus point with it set to wide area, so it was probably on the tan couch), or try center weighted (not spot) metering instead. But, note that most metering systems will tend to underexpose with a lot of white in the metering area, and most metering systems will tend to overexpose with a lot of dark in the metering area. So, being aware of how a give camera's metering behaves and using Exposure or Flash Compensation can help out.

I also see that Advanced DRO was turned on. DRO can increase noise dramatically in any underexposed areas of an image (for example, if it brightened any shadow areas by two stops in that underexposed ISO 400 image, you'd have just as much or more noise that you would have had shooting at ISO 1600 with those areas properly exposed). For lower noise levels, turn DRO off, and make sure you're not underexposing your images.

As for the sensor, yes, it's dirty. But, you're not normally going to take photos at f/36 either. ;-) So, you may not see a problem at typical aperture settings (e.g., f/5.6, f/8) if you've cleaned it so that it's better than it looked in that photo. I don't even bother cleaning a sensor unless dust starts to become visible at f/14 with a bright sky in the background (since I wouldn't normally stop down my aperture much past about f/11 anyway, since you can start getting softer images from diffraction if you stop it down too much more than that).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 8:34 AM   #7

the ones you cant see any data on are HDR pics......I took 3 in a row..one underexposed, one normal, and one overexposed, then combined them. Thats about all the editing that was done on them. I will post the originals when I get back from house hunting.