Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Default Crazy metering question

I have an outdoor wedding (my first, doing as a 2nd shooter with other photog) in bright sunlight (possibly some shade) but a very sunny California day. I've struggled with the metering in the past, sometimes getting OE sky and UE subjects, so looking for thoughts on wrangling in the exposures in potential harsh sunlight. OF course when needed I'll be using TTL fill w/a 56.

Current plan is to use local focus ~F4, and UV filters. I have an ND filter (77mm) but no POL available unless I run out and get a cheap one which might be horrible... better to not sacrifice IQ.

Note to self - get a good CPOL soon.
CaliGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2

A bad CPL would be worse than no CPL, and a CPL can cause severe vignetting at wide angles.

Perhaps you should try center weighted metering, or even spot. And unless you're certain you've got it fixed, I'd shoot RAW, so I had more to play with in post processing.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3

Sometimes it's just impossible to get metering that's going to cover the full range of light. The most important thing is to make sure your correctly metered for the subjects. As Tcav mentioned center weight or spot metering is the best way to be sure of that. You can really pull down the light in PP if you shoot raw to get better skies without sacrificing the subject.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4

Here's a couple I took yesterday using a Sony A-700, 28-75 f2.8D, 5600 flash and a Hoya HMC CPL. Not the best CPL. One is a typical middle of the day portrait the other has half shadow / sun with sky in the background. I was using spot metering.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jun 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote