Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:31 AM   #1
Default need a lens for hawaii

I am going to Hawaii the end of september and I would like to try to buy a new lens before then for my a700, if I can afford it. I don't know if I will be able to, but if I can... any opinions on what might be a good all around lens?
I just have the kit 18-70 and a tamron 70-300 right now.

firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:18 PM   #2

I would have no problem taking a trip with just the 18-70 as I have many times.

For a better one lens solution I can recommend the Sony 18-250. I've had excellent results.

Here's a couple of samples.

4th at Kern River

Spring in the sequoias

Canon S95
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:50 PM   #3

The Zeiss 16-80, Sigma 17-70, and Tamron 17-50, all run rings around the 18-70 kit lens, and they're wider for landscape shots.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:41 PM   #4

Lomitamike - thanks, that's actually a lens I've looked into in the past as a decent all around lens for hiking and whatnot.

TCav - thanks, I will look into those as well, It would be nice to have something a little wider, and better is always a plus too!
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:31 PM   #5

Not knowing what you're budget is like makes it diffuclt to make a recommendation. Although you do seem to imply that cost is relevant "... if I can afford it."
Like lomitake I would prehaps include the Tamron 17-250mm as a potential choice. Been using mine on a Sony alpha 100 and then the alpha 700 for over 3-years.
It certainly wont be the equivalent of a Zeiss but as a travel lens lens like this and similar are hard to beat. Besides at less than $400 its easy to forgive some of its relatively minor shortcomings.
See these pics taken in Hawaii with the Tamron. What ever you choose remember a lot has to do with the person behind the lens.

Last edited by selvin; Aug 3, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote